Our stories set the trajectory and the capacity of who we become and are the reason for all of experiences. I have come to learn that our most important activity as leaders is to elevate our own and the entire organization’s stories about where we are and where we are going.
When I saw the Duomo cathedral in Florence, Italy, I wondered why did it feel so different than all of the other cathedrals. More care seemed to have been given to building it. It was then that I realized that love and faith as well as religion and entrepreneurship have one thing in common – a step into the unknown, founded on a set of stories that we choose to accept.
After a whole lot of small pivots and a long roller coaster ride, I secured a $3M term-sheet. Shortly after, I uncovered issues hidden by a key employee. I let him go and the roller coaster ride got even more interesting. It is times like these that you really find out who your friends are. Thanks Carlos and Jason N.
I asked and Connie agreed to be my executive coach. After a few coaching sessions, I was elevated to a new person. The impact was magnificent. I recall that after a particular coaching session, I could no longer tolerate listening to a musician who wasn't committed to every drum beat, to every note, or to every word. This feeling has permutated to everything that I hear, see, think, and do.
All broke, a friend came up with the crazy idea of charging people money to go to a dance club that no one wants to go to. The ingenious idea worked. Over 800 people came to my first university party and paid me for it. Organizing university parties became my side business. I learned that people buy what they are sold.
During high school, I worked at a clothing store. It was my first real job. My goal everyday was to have at least 51% of the store's sales in 4 hours while the other 5 people took the other 49% for the entire day. That success earned me the demotion of working at back of the store, so others can sell more; it was an interesting twist to reaching my goal.